Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thunderstorms and Tornados

At 4:00 this morning, I was awakened to the sound of rain pelting my roof and wind blowing my house down. It sounded like a freight train was rushing towards my house. Being from West Texas, I know that is not a good sound. So I thought that Mike probably needed to wake up so that I could run my "I think there is a tornado" theory by him. As soon as he was awake, we heard the sirens going off. (Side note: Mike isn't a real big fan of tornados. Apparently in Northern Virginia they don't get them. Who doesn't get tornados?) Anyway...We jumped out of bed, I told him to run get Andrew, I grabbed Reagan and Roxy, and off we went to cram into our closet.

Now, for some reason Andrew was not nearly as concerned as we were, and I had to send Mike back out to go get Andrew because he still hadn't made it into the closet. When that didn't work, I headed out and there he was digging in the fridge. I think the conversation went something like this: "Are you insane? There is a tornado and you are jacking around looking for food!?! Get in there right now!" Then I thought about how we didn't have any emergency supplies. So I went in search of a flashlight, 1 bottle of water (for three adults and two dogs, I might add), and my alarm clock so that we could watch the time slowly tick by waiting for the storm to pass. By the time I got everything gathered up and got us all crammed into our closet, we only had to wait approximately 5-7 minutes before we were out of the worst part of the storm.

Then I had to get my clock plugged back in by the bed, set the time and the alarm for 45 minutes later when I was to be getting out of bed. I can only imagine that the rest of our street was sleeping peacefully as the storm waged outside, while my house was scrambling trying to get in our "storm shelter". Meanwhile, Andrew is laughing at us the entire time because he obviously thinks that I am totally crazy and Mike just goes along with it...

Will my life ever be normal?

9 comments:

Lisa said...

That is so funny. We woke up at 4 also. James checked the news and made sure all of the blinds were closed so no glass would kill us if the windows broke. Then we went back to bed. Tried anyway - it was so loud it took me 1.5 hours to fall back asleep. Then I had to wake up.

Once when there was a tornado about 2 miles from our front door James and I didn't believe the news ( We are from one of those places that do not get tornados by the way) we went out on the front lawn and watched the thing. It was HUGE. The damage done was terrible, but there we were standing in the front staring at it. STUPID!! It finally dawned on us that we should go inside. stupid us we locked the dogs in the bathroom and sat ourselves in front of the TV to watch the storm. That's right folks. We protected the dogs intead of ourselves.

Alison said...

Don't worry about it Jen. If you had looked next door, you would have seen lights on as we got up and hung out in our pwder bathroom for a little bit. I was so thinking about writing the same thing today. By the time I got clothes, shoes, glasses, etc. and convinced Jason to get a radio and bring it in, the storm was past us and headed to Kaufman. That took all of like 5 minutes. What a waste of getting up! Although, it's nice to know the sirens actully do work in McKinney! Problem is, then we had to try and fall back asleep for 2 hours. That was a waste too.

One of our friend from work had a PVC pipe bust through his window, so he got to spend all night and morning digging glass out of his couch, rug, etc. Good times!

And seriously - how do people not have tornadoes??? Crazy foreingers!

Sherry Turner said...

At least you all have sirens. Anna has a wonderful system we like to call the telephone. Oh yeah...we get a phone call in the middle of the night telling us that there is severe weather in the area and that we should take shelter. I guess it would be more effective if we actually answered our telephone. The good thing is that if you don't answer it will at least still leave a message telling you that you are about to die!!! Now we know that if the phone rings a 4:00am it isn't because someone else in your family is in some SERIOUS trouble, but that you are about to be in SERIOUS trouble too!!

Enjoy your "real" sirens while the rest of us have husbands that sleep through the whole thing!!

Lisa said...

I know how you feel Sherry. 4 a.m. we got a phone call too. That is what woke me up. I might have slept through the whole thing if it weren't for that call. I lost valuable sleep because of that. I'd rather not be warned that I was going to die.

The Potts Family said...

We slept right through it. I knew it was going to storm, so I put the dogs in the guest bedroom for the night so i wouldn't hear their incessant barking when the thunder, lightening, and wind started.

Apparently the sirens went off in Frisco too, but all three of us slept soundly. Considering the sirens are located very close to our house, I'm really surprised.

There is so much damage in the area we saw on the way to work. Also, it blew down two big trees we've had in front of our office building for the past 20 years.

Alison said...

Sherry and Lisa,

That's what you get when you "live in Anna"! :)

Lisa said...

I know I know. We are all about low budget in Anna. :P

JB said...

I'm just glad I still had tv and the internet through it all...I realized that we do not own a battery operated radio. Hiding in your closet?? REALLY??? Just do what we do, stand by a window or ouside and watch the storm!!

Anonymous said...

Jen,

If Mike doesn't start his own blog in 1 week, I will stop referring to him as Mike, but rather as Blog Hater.