Sunday, April 27, 2008

Middle School Devo

Tonight, instead of small group, we went to the middle school devo. James did a devo for them, and several of us went in support. We had SUCH a great time! It really was a blast! When we first got there, I have to admit, I was a little intimidated. There were tons of kids. There were several boys playing basketball, and little groups of girls all around giggling and talking. I commented right then..."Wow. It doesn't change much when you are adults, does it?" It looked like our group. Boys playing basketball, and the girls sitting around talking. I am sure the subject matter was different...maybe. :)

After playing around waiting for everyone to arrive, we prayed and then had pizza for dinner. (Don't worry, I didn't cheat on my diet. I waited to eat until I got home. Painstakingly waited until I got home. That pizza was calling my name!) After eating, we sang a few songs led by some of the boys. They were so sweet! I hadn't heard some of those songs since 9:00 devo. ACU'ers will know what I am talking about. They were so great. The pitch was a little high for me, but I have a man voice, so that really isn't surprising. Then James did a devo about gossiping. Good for kids and adults to hear, thank you very much. He did a great job.

THEN...we got down to business. We played dodgeball. Holy cow! We played adults against the middle schoolers. We won the first game. We lost the second game. We lost third game. WHAT???? Yeah, we were down by a game. Then we came back with a vengeance, thanks to Mike who was our sole survivor and took out 4 girls who had managed to stay in the game. We just played and played and had a really great time.

I really admire Bryan and Heather for their commitment to this group. They are doing a great job, and you can tell the kids adore them. It was also a really great group of kids. I hope they enjoyed having us there as much as we enjoyed being there. It sure did make me feel sick when one of the kids called us old! I am sure we are ancient to them! I have not had that much fun since our kickball practice last year. I can't wait until our rematch against the middle school kids. Revenge is ours!!!!! We may have to recruit others to our cause! ;)

2 comments:

JB said...

Talk about feeling old...one kid called me "Sir". Are you kidding me?? My dad isn't even a sir. My hip hurts too. Maybe we are old. suck.......

Lisa said...

I'm so proud of you for not cheating on your diet, even though I tried to get you to. You are a very good dodge ball player. I will need to start taking some pointers from you. It was a good time.