Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Stuff Christians Like Blog

My two sisters are teaching VBS together at our home church. Jayme mentioned something on her blog that cracked me up…orange “juice” (meaning a form of artificially flavored orange drink) and sandwich cookies (not to be confused with Oreos). Orange drink…not too bad if you don’t consider the rate at which your teeth are rotting with each drink you take. Sandwich cookies…just not the same thing as Oreos. Just not the same thing at all. The orange drink and sandwich cookies will always remind me of VBS as a kid. I guess 20-something years later they are still serving the same stuff!

This subject reminds me of a blog that my friend Warner told me about. http://stuffchristianslike.blogspot.com

Those who grew up in an old school Church of Christ, or probably any Protestant church for that matter, will appreciate the humor in what he talks about. I started reading from the bottom and am working my way up. He mentions things that I had completely forgotten about or just haven’t paid notice to in a while. Like sandwich cookies instead of Oreos, or puppets at VBS, or youth group drama about teen pregnancy, and stuff that, well, that Christians like.

Anyway, very interesting and entertaining…especially if you are a product of the Woodlawn Church of Christ environment, and I suspect any other similar church.

Just a flashback for those that did go to VBS at Woodlawn – a song that went suspiciously like this:
Please don’t curse, please don’t curse
I can’t think of anything that’s worse.
Please don’t smoke, please don’t smoke
Feed your tobacco to a billy goat.
Don’t drink booze, don’t drink booze
Spend your money on a coat and shoes.

And with that…I’m out.

3 comments:

Alison said...

The real question is.....do you guys sing the "Booster" song? All true C of C kids did!! :)

At Highland Oaks (back in the ancient days) they used to give away bikes and free half gallons of Blue Bell - that was totally worth inviting a friend for (although I never won)! Guess Heaf and I were like the radio people..."employees of HO and direct family members not eligible to receive prizes". That was a bummer.

Lisa said...

One question?? Can you PLEASE sing me that song next time we see each other???? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!! I have never heard that one before. However, I do remember the "Booster" song. FUN FUN!!

Jayme said...

I had completely forgotten about that song. Good Times! Seriously Jen, you would have been disappointed, it just isn't the same. Imagine that.